font-family: "Bookman Old Style", serif;

Preparing for the Journey


After completing my first research assessment, I realized how vast the field of pediatric neurosurgery is. There are so many different types of neurological disorders and diseases and each one typically has many treatment options. Because of this, doctors have to stay on top of the latest scientific findings so that they are able to diagnose and treat their patients to the best of their ability. There is such an immense amount of knowledge to obtain and this realization only makes me more eager for the year ahead. However, before I can truly begin this journey, I must first develop some necessary skills.

This past week we focused on being able to properly compose and carry ourselves. We practiced handshakes and introductions. One thing I have learned is that a smile goes a very long way. We also held mock phone interviews as well as personal interviews. Through these exercises I was able to train myself to think one step ahead, so to speak. For example, during the mock interviews, I realized that it is imperative that I start formulating an answer in my head as soon as the interviewer starts asking his/her question. In interviews especially it is extremely important that I do not stumble over my words or pause for an extended period of time. By using the skills I learned this past week, I feel confident that I will do well going into any interview in the future.

This upcoming week, I plan on calling and emailing pediatric neurosurgeons and hopefully scheduling some research interviews. However before I go on any professional visits, I need to finalize my resume and also do a little bit more research on the common neurological disorders found amongst children.

Sarah