font-family: "Bookman Old Style", serif;

Professional Skills

   

 This past week was mainly focused on preparing for our Business Symposium and future interviews. Besides learning how to properly shake another person's hand, we learned the basics of professional dress and etiquette. The most beneficial lesson I learned from last was how to appropriately and effectively answer interview questions. Now although this seems somewhat silly, I did not realize until now how important interviews are. It gives people a chance to show how well they interact with others but more so than that, there are many subtle aspects of what occurs during an interview that can reveal a person's true character.One lesson I learned is the importance of body language. The way in which one carries themselves reveals a lot about their confidence as well as their maturity.  As a personal goal, from now on, I am going to be conscious about how I compose my answers when asked a question.

     One other major task I accomplished was finalizing my list of contacts. Initially I struggled with this assignment because within the Dallas Fort-Worth metroplex, there are only about five pediatric neurosurgeons. Therefore, I had to broaden my field. I knew between pediatrics and neurosurgery, I was more passionate about pediatrics and so I decided to find some pediatric neurologists. However, because I did want to keep an open mind, I also gathered some neurosurgeon contact information.

     This coming week, I plan on polishing up my resume and finishing my first research assessment. As I have a list of about 25 physicians, I hope that throughout this week I will start sending out emails and making phone calls.

Sarah