font-family: "Bookman Old Style", serif;

Creativity and More...

I think it's safe to say that I enjoy colorful displays. In preparation for Research Showcase on Decemeber 16th, we as ISM students were all required to create display boards that were reflective of everything we have learned thus far. Initially I struggled with coming up with a creative idea as medicine isn't exactly conducive to imaginative presentations. So, I decided to convey my creative through the use of bright colors and patterns. I am not quite finished with my board yet but this is a good rough draft of what it will look like. As of right now, I don't have my mentor biography completed but as soon as I meet with my mentor, I will have the information to put there. One thing I plan on fixing is the middle part of the display board. As of right now, I don't like the way that it looks -- it's too cluttered for my personal taste. Also, it is hard to tell what pictures go with each paragraph. One way I could possible fix this is by resizing my pictures and also by backing the paragraphs of information and their corresponding pictures on the same colored backing paper. When we brought our boards into class on Wednesday, we had our peers critique our boards and I received a lot of constructive criticism that I will consider when finalizing the details of my board. If you have any critiques or suggestions, feel free to comment below as any help is greatly appreciated!

Current Display Board

One other major things we worked on this week was submitting our proposal for original work. This is the first of 2 major goals that ISM students must achieve (final product being the other). To be quite frank, I had no idea what I should do for my original work. There is not a whole lot of "new research" that I can do on my own. Ultimately, I decided on doing researching case studies about hydrocephalus. Through this I hope to analyze and more thoroughly understand the thought process that goes behind picking a specific surgical treatment for various cases of hydrocephalus. As there are many treatment options for hydrocephalus, I am interested in what the key indicators are in picking the optimal treatment plan for each and every individual. 
The next few weeks are going to be quite busy and stressful as the count down to Research Showcase has begun but nonetheless, I am looking forward to it. This is the first time that we will be presenting our research and all that we have learned in a formal setting and it's quite exciting. 

Sarah