font-family: "Bookman Old Style", serif;

Reflection of the Year

As I look back upon this year, I cannot help but be incredibly grateful for all that unique and amazing opportunities I have had under the mentorship of Dr. Bradley Weprin. My favorite memory with him is actually my first interview with him. I remember walking in and we began talking about various neurological disorders. We were talking about hydrocephalus and I knew a little about the topic and the main treatment is something called a shunt. But what stood out to me about this interview was the fact that Dr. Weprin stopped during his interview to go and get an actual shunt. He put it into my hands and this was a really neat experience for me. Although to others it may seem like something insignificant, the fact that he made a point to teach me something new in a tangible way and help me understand in a different perspective really impacted me. Out of all my other experiences with him, I particularly treasure the conversations that I have had with him in his office -- that's not to say that seeing craniofacial surgeries or tumor resections or going on rounds or shadowing in clinic was not exciting or fascination. But the conversations that I had with my mentor took our relationship to the next level. Whether we were talking about why certain neurological disorders occurred more frequently in some geographical areas than others or the latest fetal surgery techniques or my college plans, every conversation that I had with him taught me something new. He invested so much of his time and energy into teaching me not only about the field of pediatric neurosurgery but valuable life lessons. I am truly appreciative of the his desire and willingness to teach and mentor me. I honestly could not have asked for a better mentor.

Sarah