font-family: "Bookman Old Style", serif;

Creative Planning

In addition to the usual research assessments, this week we focused on writing our first interview assessment as well as creating a rough draft of our display board. For me, writing the interview assessment was beneficial because it forced me to reminisce back upon my interview and remember the details of what was discussed. However, more than remembering the details or information I was able to absorb, I found myself remembering character traits of the individual doctor. Ultimately, through these reflections I will be able to narrow it down to a few doctors who I think will best be suitable for me as a mentor.

In addition, this past week we worked on creating a mockup of our display board. It was challenging trying to come up with a creative board that not only captured the essence of my specific field but also did so in an appealing manner. Ultimately, I came up with the idea of having a stethoscope around the border of the tri-fold and a brain in the center of the display that would contain information dealing with different parts of the brain.

The other major part of my week involved a phone call interview with a pediatric neurologist. As she was a female, she offered me a different perspective on the field than any of her male colleagues. Her focus on epilepsy (which conveniently happened to be the topic of my research assessment) showed be that even within the subspecialty of pediatric neurology, there are more subspecialties. In a sense, the learning never ends. I have come to realize that in a way the brain is similar to the final frontier -- no matter how much science discovers or many scientific advancements are made, there will always be a vast amount of unknown knowledge concerning the nervous system. 

Sarah