font-family: "Bookman Old Style", serif;

It's Becoming Real


This past week has been incredibly fulfilling. On Tuesday, I interviewed my first pediatric neurosurgeon, and it is safe to say that I was absolutely amazed. Prior to this I had been on an interview with a general neurosurgeon and although that interview went well, it was not nearly as gratifying or as memorable as the one I had with the pediatric neurosurgeon. I think the primary differences between the two lies in the atmosphere of the hospital and the attitudes of the staff. The moment I walked into the hospital, I was amazed about how it did not look like a hospital. Rather, it felt like I was walking into Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. The walls were painted with bright colors and there were cheerful images all around. From the signs directing people places to go to the interiors of the elevators, everything was designed specifically with children in mind. As far as the actual interview is concerned, I was intrigued by the fact that those who work in pediatrics have an entirely different personality. Generally speaking, they are more empathetic and optimistic than neurosurgeons. Pediatric neurosurgeons have to develop relationships not only with the patient but with the entire family, and as such, it can be more emotionally wearing on an individual. You would think that after a long day of stressful work, the pediatric neurosurgeon would have been tired and drained; but, it was  quite the opposite. I was greeted by a cheerful and energetic smile, eager to answer any questions I had. Coming out of the interview, the main thing I have learned is that, whether it be neurology or neurosurgery, my topic of study this year must include pediatrics.

Another major event that occurred this week was Business Symposium. We had been preparing for this day from the first day of school itself, but nonetheless I was nervous. I am not the kind of individual who goes up to random strangers, introduces himself or herself, and starts a conversation. Although the first few times I introduced myself to people I was a little shy, it became easier and I began to gain confidence. During the networking period, I went around and talked to many different professionals and despite the fact that none were directly involved in the medical field, it was interesting to learn a little bit about the different career paths that are out there. Following this, I was interviewed by three different professionals. As a result of these interviews, I was able to practice answering questions effectively and efficiently without babbling too much. I also received feedback on my resume and composure as a whole. All in all, there are many things that I learned through Business Symposium that will help me be more successful throughout the year.

This upcoming week, I have an interview scheduled with a general neurosurgeon. I am looking forward to this interview because this particular individual also deals with the business side of the hospital and it will be interesting to see this aspect of a career in the medical field. I also plan on finishing up my topic proposal for this year, as well as any other assessments.

Sarah