font-family: "Bookman Old Style", serif;

Topic Proposal

Through my Independent Study and Mentorship course this year, I would like to learn more about the medical field, particularly the field of pediatric neurosurgery. In addition to gaining exposure to the general lifestyle of a pediatric neurosurgeon, I will focus on the relationships established between pediatric neurosurgeons and their patients, the dynamics of the operating room, and the challenges and rewards presented by this specialized field.

All my life, I have enjoyed being around children. For the past three years, I have volunteered with children on a weekly basis every Wednesday night at a local church program known as Approved Workmen are Not Ashamed (AWANA). Despite the business and demands of high school life, I can honestly say that this is the highlight of my week. Unlike adults who are often preoccupied with the stresses and responsibilities that accompany everyday life, children truly know how to enjoy each moment and have such a worry-free mindset. Along the same thought, when a child is sick, they are robbed of that carefree mentality. Childhood is meant to be enjoyed and to be filled with laughter and smiles. But when a child is facing a terminal illness, there are no laughter or smiles. It truly is my ardor and joy to put that smile back on a child's face.

However, pediatric neurosurgery is not just about children; there is also a medical component. My interest in medicine began at a very early age. On my 7th birthday, I remember opening my presents and finding a doctors kit. Being a young girl who loved dolls and playing pretend, this was not the gift that I had been anticipating. Nonetheless, it was in that pivotal moment that I began to fall in love with the field of medicine. Simple as it may have been, the doctor’s kit I received that year instilled in me a genuine passion for medical field as it allowed me to realize that I could combine the fascinating world of science with the rewarding acts of helping others.

Fortunately or unfortunately, not every individual is suited to be a pediatric neurosurgeon as it is a very difficult career path. However, personally speaking, I enjoy the challenges it brings. I am not the kind of individual who shies away from obstacles, but rather one who prefer to tackle them head on. I understand that pediatric neurosurgery is emotionally draining, time-consuming, and requiring of many sacrifices. But compared to the ultimate joy and reward of seeing a child smile again, these seem like minimal prices to pay. Furthermore, I absolutely love to learn, particularly in a real-world setting. Although textbook based learning is very informative, kinesthetic learning is much more efficient and effective – an aptitude possessed by many skilled surgeons. Finally, I am a naturally curious and inquisitive person. The brain is essentially a black box and thus presents a vast amount of unknown, unmarked and undiscovered territories. There is not a single individual in the entire world who completely and thoroughly understands the brain and its complexities. To many this kind of ambiguity is intimidating, but to me, it is compelling and intriguing in the sense that I am excited about potentially discovering more information about the underlying connections within the nervous system. All in all, I truly believe that my assiduous personality, tendency to absorb as much information as I can, and natural curiosity will ultimately culminate in such a manner that more than adequately equips me for a career as a successful pediatric neurosurgeon.

Sarah