font-family: "Bookman Old Style", serif;

Possible Mentors?

As many interviews that I have gone on, I can confidently say that those with actual pediatric neurosurgeons were the most fulfilling. That is not to say that those with neurosurgeons or pediatric neurologists were bad. However, to finally be able to talk with a doctor that fit what my specific topic of study is just reignited my passion for the field. This past week I had two interviews, both of whom were pediatric neurosurgeons.
My first interview took place at Children's Health and was with the director of pediatric neurosurgery, Dr. Brad Weprin.  One of the most interesting things about this interview dealt with what I was able to learn about the most common pediatric neurological disorder - hydrocephalus, the build of cerebral spinal fluid. About 5 minutes into our discussion about hydrocephalus and the possible treatment plans, Dr. Weprin arose from his desk physically handed me an actual shunt that is used in surgeries and was able to lead me through a basic overview of what occurs during the surgical procedure that fixes this disorder. For me personally this was a very unique learning experience because instead of just hearing the word "shunt," I was able to tangibly understand and visualize it.
My second interview was at Cook's Childrens with Dr. Donahue who has been in practice for well over 30 years. Being a sage and wise individual, my interview with him was very informative. He initially inquired about me and how I became interested in the specific career of pediatric neurosurgery. He then relayed to me his own personal story of how he was drawn to this particular field. More so than what he was able to tell me, I was drawn to his affectionate and charismatic personality. As we were walking to our interview location, he introduced me to many other employees and I could immediately tell that he was a well-known and respected individual in the hospital. In this way, he seemed like a very grandfatherly person who would potentially be a very influential mentor.
This upcoming week, I hope to further reflect upon my interviews and formally ask one of three pediatric neurosurgeons to be my mentor for the upcoming year. In addition, I am going to give a 10 to 12 minute presentation that will summarize all that I have accomplished and learned in the past 9 weeks of ISM.

Sarah