font-family: "Bookman Old Style", serif;

Public Speaking Nerves

This past week, I gave a 10 minute speech regarding what I have accomplished these past 10 weeks in ISM. For me, this was a huge learning experience. Typically, I am not that uncomfortable speaking in front of people...so long as I know exactly what I am talking about. However, with this particular speech, I had difficulty in organizing my thoughts in a cohesive and comprehendible manner. There was such a vast amount of information I needed to cover and no clear way in which to connect them all in a logical manner. Looking back upon how I spoke, there are some evident issues that I plan on fixing. For starters, I need to have a better understanding of what I am going to say and how I am going to convey that message to the audience. I realized that often times, the people who I am talking to may not be interested in my topic of study or simple not understand what I am trying to say. Because of that, I need to be able to speak in an engaging and simplistic manner that both captivates and informs listeners. Another thing I need to work on is endurance. Although I started off my speech with a good energy and eye contact, as time progressed, I visibly lost enthusiasm and connection with the audience. For future speeches, I hope to be able to maintain a good energy so as to keep the attention of all those listening. 

I had planned on sending out an email regarding a mentorship to one of the pediatric neurosurgeons I had interviewed but I have decided to hold off for another few weeks. At this point, I am still contemplating as to which individual would be the best mentor for me. All three surgeons that I have interviewed so far were amazing individuals who all seem like potentially amazing mentors but the challenge now is narrowing it down to who would be the best one for me. I was also contacted by another pediatric neurosurgeon this week and my interview with him should be sometime within the next two weeks. Hopefully this will not further confuse me as to who would be the best mentor.


Sarah