font-family: "Bookman Old Style", serif;

Public Speaking Nerves Pt. 2

This past week we were required to give a 20 to 25 minute speech regarding Original Work, and it amazes me how quickly time seems to go once I get in front of people. Although I had prepared for about 30 minutes worth of talking, I only spent about 20 minutes presenting my speech (much to my dismay). After I finished my presentation, I was not entirely satisfied. I knew I had rambled quite a bit and that I had used a lot of filler words. It is good to have stage presence, but what makes a presentation 10x better is when the actual content of the speech is stellar. Moving forward, I feel that I need to prepare my speeches a little differently. Rather than just having an outline and being impromptu, I feel that if I put more work into the preparation aspect and mentally plan out what I am going to say so that all my words flow eloquently and fluidly, I will have a more convincing and engaging presentation. One other thing I need to really work on is talking slower. I naturally speak at a fairly fast speed and I only speak faster when talking in front of people and this not only makes it harder for the audience to truly understand what I am saying, but it also leaves me as a speaker with a lot of dead time, which I then have to fill with even more impromptu rambling. Although I was quite disappointed and frustrated after giving this speech, I do know what I need to work on for future speeches.
More importantly, I am excited for my mentor visit! Right before I presented my speech, I received an email from my mentor asking if I would like to come in and watch a surgery. This will be the first time that I have stepped into the operating room and I am not sure there are words to described just what I am feeling. As I have been patiently waiting for some time, I am thrilled to finally get a chance to see my mentor operate on and interact with patients. However, at the same time, I have absolutely no idea what to expect when I walk in. Will the smell and the sounds and the environment be overwhelming? Or will I absolutely love it?

Sarah