font-family: "Bookman Old Style", serif;

Wait, This is Actually Relevant?

Getting caught up in the routine of ISM and simply going with the flow is a very common predicament. I'm not going to lie -- it's hard to stay committed to something (even if you're incredibly passionate about it) if you see no true purpose in it. Of course, ISM is an incredible experience. Of course, ISM teaches you many things. But at the same time, when you realize that majority of studenfs in ISM won't actually end up pursuing their topic of study as a career, it's a little hard to find motivation to push on.

Until you happen to be in a situation that allows you to use what you have learned. 

This past weekend we had family come in from out of town. And unbeknownst to me was the fact that one of my extended family members was actually a neurosurgeon. Imagine my excitement when I was able to talk freely with him about all that I had learned. I showed him my display board and talked about my mentorship and I soon learned that he had been born with hydrocephalus. For those of you who may not know, last year my final product was based on hydrocephalus and it was incredibly amazing to see how what I had learned throughout the course of one year truly did have relevancy in the real world. It seems like such a nerdy and small thing -- being able to hold an intelligible conversation with someone. But for me it was chance to show what I head learned, (outside the classroom of ISM) and it was exactly the encouragement I needed to keep pushing onward. 

Sarah