font-family: "Bookman Old Style", serif;

I Forgot What This Felt Like

My first interview as this past Friday and I feel like my motivation to get back into the swing of things is increasing exponentially. Because of last year, I knew in my head what interviews were like - ask questions, get answers, takes notes, write an assessment. To some extent, it was a pretty redundant and repetitive thing. But, what I had forgotten was the fun that came along with that. There is something about having a conversation with a professional about something that you're truly passionate about that is engaging and intriguing and exciting, all at the same time. I had the privilege of interviewing Dr. Shah, who is a pediatric otolaryngologist. It is always interesting to me to make comparisons across subspecialties, to make note of those similarities and differences. I have a few more interviews lined up in the following weeks and I have a feeling that once I get started, I will find myself enjoying the whole process more.

This is  a big week in ISM in that Business Symposium is this Friday. Everything we have learned thus far from how to shake a hand to carrying conversations to dressing professionally has been in preparation for this event. I remember that this was a time in which I actually forced myself to go and talk to professionals and other adults who I did not know whatsoever. It is crazy for me to think that I ever did something like this, especially considering that I am typically not a very outgoing or social person (not to say I can't carry a conversation; I'm just not the type that will go out of my way to strike up a conversation with someone I don't know). As a personal goal/challenge, I want to push myself to interact with twice as many people as I did last time. I do not think that I took advantage of the networking opportunity this provided me last year and I want to make it a point that I do not make the same mistake again. Though I am a little bit nervous, I am also very excited and I cannot wait to see how the event unfolds.

Sarah